Monday 9 February 2015

First Sketch Book Assignment

So for my first sketch book assignment I decided to do the first thing that came to my mind. This ended up being a turtle, I have no idea why but I just went with it. I think having the factor of just drawing/sketching anything that comes to mind is important because even though sometimes you may want to the think of the greatest idea, it’s better to be able to just get started on something. The shell isn't an actual representation as I had learned after, there are supposed to be 28 pieces to the outer rim of the shell with thirteen bigger chunks on the inside. I used three main pencils to sketch this: HB, B, 6B. Of my 6 pencil set I wanted to use a soft, medium and hard to show the different lines and textures in my work. Principles that I used included: line, shape, value, and texture. Line is used in the pieces of the shell mainly. It outlines and it gives it a textured look to make it look somewhat realistic. Shape would be those within the shell and the turtle itself. Value is the shading that I have done and the darkness and lightness to it. Texture is the feel the picture appears to have.

The first stages of my drawing

Finished product

The criteria the class came up with for the sketch book assignments
My sketch meets all of the criteria. It shows four of the 7 elements as well as it shows a lot of effort I put into it. I met the deadline of Friday to hand it in (This blog post is a little late though) and it shows the appropriate level of detail. As of now there isn't any improvement to be shown as it is the first sketch of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment