Friday 27 February 2015

Series Art Piece #1 Update!

So I have started my first piece for the series assignment. It was the actual 3D cat piece and it went a lot different from planned. Originally I wanted to make it out of clay but then there was the fear of it staying together or the possibility of it cracking so I decided to use different materials. I started out making like a skeletal structure with two different types of wire, one thicker and one thinner. The main supports I did out of the thicker wire to make sure it held itself up, and the little details I did out of the thinner wire which was much easy to bend and maneuver.
Side picture of wire work
Top view
So after I have all of the main pieces of the body built I was able to continue with progress on making it look realistic. The plaster strips were difficult to use at first, as they had nothing to adhere to making it difficult to stick to the wire. Eventually after one piece successfully dried I was able to add more.

Adding plaster strips

More plaster strips
I finally covered the main parts of the body but then I realized I needed to fill out the shape of the cat more to make him look bigger as he looked pretty bony with his fake skeletal structure. To do this I used pieces of Plasticine to ball up and put in the deep parts and then re-cover them with the plaster strips. My next step with this piece will be to see if any places need re-patching after Plasticine is put down and then hopefully over the weekend I will have gone to town to pick up some sort of soft material to cover the "sculpture" and then add details to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment